Kim Hwijip, 'Home Run Po' against Korea-Japan

 


Infielder Kim Hwi-jip (Kiwoom Heroes) was overwhelmed with emotion after activating the home run gun in his first international tournament wearing the Korean flag.

Kim pinch-hit for Son Sung-bin with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning of the 2023 Asian Professional Baseball Championship (APBC) qualifier against Japan at the Tokyo Dome on Sunday, trailing 0-2.

Facing opposing closer Kazuto Taguchi, Kim swung aggressively at a three-ball one-strike pitch and connected with a 110-meter home run to left field.

After being pinned down by Japan's mound for most of the game, Korea managed to score a run on a single by Kim Hwijip. Although the Koreans were unable to pull off the comeback and lost 1-2, they were able to avoid a scoreless defeat and lift their spirits a bit.

Speaking to the media after the game, Kim said, "In the ninth inning, the opposing pitcher was a left-hander, so I thought I might go out, but the opportunity came. "If it was a one-run game, I would have waited for one more ball in a three-ball, one-strike situation, but we were down by two runs, so I swung the bat aggressively with quick timing in mind. When it hit, I thought it was over," he laughed.

"It's a different atmosphere to lose 0-2 and 1-2. I hope to have a good game against Chinese Taipei tomorrow and meet Japan again in the final."

Kim Hwijip, who made his national team debut at the tournament, said, "I'm honored to be here and learn a lot. "There are so many people 안전놀이터 who are good at baseball," said Kim, who made her debut at the tournament. "I learned a lot from both the Australian players yesterday and the Japanese players today. The atmosphere at the Tokyo Dome was amazing. It inspires me to work harder," he emphasized.

With the home run, Kim will have more chances in the remaining games. He could even start against Taiwan.

However, he said, "The coach always makes the best decisions. I will do my best to fulfill my role wherever I am given, without being too greedy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'A feat even Nowitzki couldn't do' Germany defeat Serbia to win first Basketball World Cup title